Anderson Creek Club-Woman’s Club is hosting a music competition for students grades 9-12. The 1st round of competition is this Saturday, 10 January. Students must play a classical piece at least 2 minutes long. The winner will go on to compete in the District Festival in Raleigh on Saturday, February 7 against 9 other regional winners. The winner of that round will go on to compete in the State Festival on Saturday, March 7. For more information, please contact Natalie Whittington at 334-220-3092 or email@example.com.
Mary K. Paul Whitener Scholarship in Piano is a four-year scholarship for a student who has been accepted into a music program, with emphasis in piano, at a four-year college. Judging is based upon talent and potential and not financial need. The award is $1500 over a four-year period. The ACC-Woman’s Club awards $250 to its recipient. The recipient then becomes a candidate for this General Federation of Women’s Club music scholarship. For further details, go to: http://www.gfwcnc.org/MM_MKWhitener.htm
- The Music Contests are open to grades 9-12.
- Contestants must perform one or two classical compositions of their own choice that may include arts songs or opera. [No Broadway, modern jazz, gospel (including hymns), country-western, “pop” or improvisation will be accepted.] When questioning the appropriateness of a composition, contact the Music Chair, Sandie Werderman at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 910-814-0925.
- Time limits must be observed. Minimum: three (3) minutes. Maximum: five (5) minutes.
- Piano and Vocal contestants must perform from memory.
- Three (3) copies of the composition(s) to be performed must be brought for the judges’ use. At least one copy of the composition(s) must be an original copy.
- All contestants must be available to audition for the Anderson Creek Club Arts Festival, the District VI Arts Festival and the State Arts Festival.
7. The ACC-Woman’s Club Chair, Music Contests will coordinate the following with the piano and vocal contest winners: the dates and times to audition, and completion of the GFWC ENTRY FORM AND PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM. These forms are required to compete at the District VI and State Arts Festivals.
The music department at Chowan University is holding a piano competition for High School Junior and Senior students on February 28 in Murfreesboro, NC. Prizes are scholarships to Chowan University for up to $4000. More info can be found here: 2014-15 Piano Competition Brochure1
The 37th Annual Dr. Sharyn Edwards Piano Festival and Competition will be held March 12 – 14, 2015. The festival will feature artist Angela Cheng. More information can be found at their website, http://www.sccnc.edu/. You can also download a brochure here: SCCNCPiano Festival Brochure 2015.v2
Fayetteville Piano Teachers Association will hold its annual competition in April. More information will be announced soon. Repertoire lists and contest rules can be found on the FPTA website.